Tuesday, September 09, 2014

The Guest

Tonight I saw The Guest, starring Dan Stevens and Maika Monroe.

When David (Stevens) arrives at the doorstep of the Petersons, they believe him when he tells them that he's a soldier who once served with their now-deceased son. They welcome him into their home, and their family, with open arms.

Soon he's helping their son fight off bullies, protecting women at parties and helping Mom negotiate a lighter punishment at school for her suddenly violent son. He's a peach!

Until ... he isn't.

Of course, there's soon a fair amount of bloodshed, there's a lot of loud music (warning you of the upcoming bloodshed) and David develops a habit of coldly staring at pretty much everyone.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love seeing the former Downton Abbey star with his shirt off, sporting a damn fine American accent; but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't know exactly how this was going to end before it was even half way over.

Sure, there's some jumpy scenes, and at one point you may find it difficult to root for the good guys, but above all else, this is just silly.

~~~

No comments: