Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Whale

Last night I saw the documentary, The Whale, by Suzanne Chisolm and Michael Parfit.

In the spring of 2008, I screened a documentary at the Seattle International Film Festival that left me weeping and smiling all the same. It was called Saving Luna, and it captured the story of an orca from Washington's L-pod that became separated from his family and built a life in Canada, making friends with humans instead of returning home.

This film is a re-purposed version of that film, and delivers just as powerful a punch—reminding us to embrace nature and respect all of the treasures that our earth delivers.

My opinion hasn't changed since I wrote this review for Cinebanter, three years ago.

I encourage those of you in Seattle to get to The Whale before it leaves SIFF Cinema at the end of the week (and yes, I encourage you to take the kids). Those of you in other cities and countries should lobby for this beautiful film to come to your area. You won't be disappointed.

To view the trailer, click here.

No comments: