Monday, October 22, 2007

Lust, Caution

Tonight I saw Lust, Caution, starring Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Wei Tang.

It was 2 hours, 28 minutes long, and it felt like 4.

I typically love Lee's mesmerizing films (Brokeback I even counted as my favorite of 2005), but this one nearly put me to sleep.

It's a basic story: girl wants to be an actress, gets caught up in resistance, earns assignment she is both physically and emotionally not ready for - powerful, mean leader sees young eye candy and takes full advantage of it, being at once cruel and gentle. They both betray themselves and alternately fall in love and lust, which of course leads to tragic consequences.

The buzz surrounding this movie because of its graphic, NC17-earning sex has unfortunately clouded the story, which in itself isn't boring, but when drawn out for an unimaginable length of time sure turns out to be.

The acting by the two leads is phenomenal (Leung Chiu Wai is especially captivating) and their chemistry is completely feasible, but I could have done with a lot less of the glances across the room, the poised staring with cigarette in hand and the closeups of jewels and sweat.

1 comment:

Vassilis said...

Hi, Tassoula. I agree with you. I saw Lust, Caution a while ago in Greece.I kept asking myself all the time: why do we need two half movies with the same attempt (unfulfilled and fulfilled) to assassinate the 'bad' guy? The last half was the better.

On the other hand, I liked the 'trademarks' of Ang Lee's closeups of jewels and the rest.

The music was poignant as well.

Vassilis
Life Radio 102,9
www.liferadio.gr