Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Gone Baby Gone

Tonight I screened Gone Baby Gone, starring Casey Affleck and Ed Harris.

I love it when movies make me think.

There are those that say they simply go to the movies to be entertained, and while that's important, if a movie forces me to calculate decisions as I'm watching, or question my morals when I've left the theater, I have to rank it a little higher on the list than the fluff. And this one did.

The story tells of two young 'private investigator' types (Affleck and Michelle Monaghan) who get caught up in a missing children case with the Boston PD only to arrive at disastrous results. But that's merely the beginning.

What unfolds is a story of deceit, vigilante justice, moral integrity, betrayal and heartbreak. And I'm still making up my mind about the characters.

Affleck gives a terrific performance as the quintessential good guy and Harris is equally good as the tried-and-true tough cop.

But the twists in the writing and the exciting camera work are really what make this a thrilling Departed-like ride.

Proof positive that the other Affleck (who directed and co-wrote this) is at his best behind the scenes.

No comments: