Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Amazing Grace

Tonight I attended a screening of Amazing Grace, starring Ioan Gruffudd.

What's really amazing is that I didn't fall asleep.

I mean no disrespect to the director (Michael Apted) or the story, which details the obstacles that William Wilberforce faced as he fought British Parlaiment to abolish slavery.

But my God, was this boring.

The film shows William's relentless quest to alter the opinions of crochety old Brits (with the help of a freed slave), explains how he fell in love with his like-minded wife, and shows us how sick he got along the way.

It hardly does the famed leader justice.

The real man who lived from 1759 to 1833 fought not only for the abolishment of slavery but also for child labor laws, education for folks with disabilities (such as deafness), and even for animal rights. He was extraordinary and unique.

In the film, he's merely a handsome good guy to root for.

I could've done without the countless pretentious speeches and seen more of the adversity. The courtroom scenes weren't as nailbiting as I suppose they were in real-life and the love story between him and his wife was barely fleshed out. And the two times the title hymn is sung in the film didn't evoke the goosebumps I expected it to.

Incredibly disappointing all around.

No comments: